Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Album Review: Moonsorrow - Jumalten Aika



Moonsorrow
Jumalten Aika
(Century Media)

Moonsorrow’s music is just so wild, forlorn, and free. They are one band I will always have a deeply emotional attachment to from my pure metal days back in 2008. At that time I was 22, deeply depressed, and going through all sorts of changes that a 22-year-old man thinks he is prepared for but sometimes finds himself incredibly lost dealing with. Kivenkantaja, and Verisäkeet were two albums that helped me through that transition. Anyway enough about me, the music is the point here, and perhaps one thing that makes Moonsorrow such a strong band is their ability to play songs that beautify tragedy and sadness. I think that is a gift that a lot of people try to capture when they’re writing music, but it often comes off as very cliché. Moonsorrow are able to do that, and through experiencing it for me the music is kind of an esoteric mindfuck.  Obviously I can’t understand a single thing that vocalist Ville Sorvali is saying, but I can definitely feel it, and that has just as much if not more meaning. One could almost call Moonsorrow charming.

If you’re familiar with Moonsorrow, then you know that their formula is to write each track as an opus. I feel like I’m going on an adventure when I listen to Jumalten Aika. There’s certainly the sense that each track is a different stage on this journey through peril. I can imagine myself as a heathen on hill in the mist, or as a sailor on a boat off of the coast of a Finnish isle. It’s really beautiful, and their music is very organic.  They’ve done it again. They’ve raised the bar with Jumalten Aika. This is already going on my favorite albums of 2016 list. How can I choose a favorite song on the album, when they’re each an individually and carefully orchestrated piece to fulfill a part of the experience? It’s like asking me which tale from the Silmarillion I enjoyed the most. I couldn’t tell you. It’s all like one big long sad epic poem for a shelf designated masterpieces.

After several years bouncing around miserable in my post college daze, I’ve found myself back in my roots as an avid metal listener, and I couldn’t be happier that Moonsorrow have released this magical album at around the same time.  Is there no triumph at the end of this sad, long, and lonely road? Where are the gods to lift one up from the torment of this trial? Alas, as I said earlier there’s a distinctive charm here, and you’ll find it at certain points in each song just before the storm. Honestly, I think a track like “Mimisbruun,” which is a 15:55 song that takes the listener all over the place, is as much of an exegesis on northern European heritage and heathenry as anything a scholar or historian could put out there. 

How does this heathen expedition end? By a crackling fire, and a blowing wind…


No comments:

Post a Comment