Friday, March 25, 2016

Album Review: Rotten Sound - Abuse To Suffer

Rotten Sound - Abuse To Suffer
(Season of Mist)

A few weeks ago a friend of mine introduced me to a band from Finland called Rotten Sound. I liked their name, and I like bands from Finland, so I was already stoked to hear them before she even sent me a link to Exit. While I tediously slaved away on an assignment for the click bait agency we both worked for, the sounds of Finland’s grindcore phenomena brought a furious surge of beats and counter cultural degeneracy into my life. It was good. It was real good. I wish I could have made a living by telling people to share this motherfucking album, and “you won’t believe what they’re going to release next!”

Well, Abuse To Suffer is certainly one album I would like to take with me into what seems to be an inevitable Trump Presidency. I mean listen to this stuff. It’s the kind of music that makes me want to throw a Molotov cocktail into someone’s face. Nevermind that you don’t need to hit someone with a Molotov cocktail in order to hurt them with it. That’s beside the point. Will you pay good money to see Donald Trump hit with a Molotov cocktail? Would you even pay with your life? That’s a YouTube video I could picture with Rotten Sound’s “Yellow Pain” playing on a continuous loop. You can just picture his orange face going up in flames while this grindcore group from Finland is playing their new album in the background.

How could I compare the latest release of Finland’s premiere modern grindcore band to anything else? I mean it’s just what you would expect from bare bones in your face extreme music. These guys are taking misanthropy to another level. It feels like a tank in the streets, and a Patrick Bateman in the sheets.

Abuse To Suffer reminds me of that one time eleven years ago when I saw Extreme Noise Terror at the Elks in Cambridge in front of a packed audience of crust punks and metal heads. We were steaming in mid July heat and humidity, I was young and dumb, but I felt alive and free. I’m not typically engaged with grindcore and metal of this magnitude, but I think that this band are giving me new incentive. The band has been around since 1993, but I think they’re going to be keeping it real for a long time to come, and I’m stoked to be a new fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment